Sunday 20 July 2014

Forest of Dean - Verderers Trail

A beautiful sunrise, clear blue sky's a day off work and the kids at school, the scene is set.
I had taken the day off work since my wife and eldest son were going on a trip to watch a concert so it was down to me to pick the younger children up, but that left the day - so I did what anyone would have done, packed the bike in the car and headed over to the forest.
Located between Coleford and Cinderford the
 pedalaway bike centre  marks the start of the trails.
Car parking is ample and very reasonable at £3.50 for the day.
With the bike reassembled and myself adorned with gloves, helmet, sun glasses, hydro pack and tools I was ready to go, a good clear map marks the start of the trail, the first section through the trees is easy going and then the trail leaves the trees and heads uphill the first stop was to let the tyres down, the bike had been in commuting mode and the tyres were well pumped, the trail is very well thought out with each climb rewarded with a little gift of a tight twisty singletrack or short downhill blast, then the next climb, but as you climb I just reminded myself, what goes up ! As you reach the top there are some of the most amazing views, stop a take a picture, the get ready for the downhill, the Dragons Tail as it is called is amazing very fast with the berms in all the right places and just the right number of jumps, It did amaze me how much my bike just wanted to be in the air, I emerged from the tail with a massive grin on my face and just one thought AGAIN!
Although the trail is 7 miles long there are fireroads linking the sections, so if you want to do the DH section again just a short climb and your ready to go.
The trail is graded as a blue route and the freeminers as a red, although apart from a few roots I couldn't see the difference between the two, There are also DH sections but since my bike is a hard tail I avoided these.
The centre itself has a very warm and welcoming feel, everyone we spoke to on the day were chatty and friendly, and the bikes didn't define the status, at some centres the 5K boys won't even acknowledge that the sub 1K boy's exist.

Overall the trail, the facility's, and the people are fantastic. my only question is why haven't I been before?

Before I go again I think an upgrade to a shadow rear mech is on the cards to reduce some of the chain slap! Although the chain never derailed I'm sure it must have been close a few times.







Pedalabikeaway
Cycle Centre
Cannop Valley
Nr Coleford
Gloucestershire
GL16 7EH
United Kingdom

http://www.pedalabikeaway.co.uk/



No comments:

Post a Comment