Saturday 12 October 2013

Cree Q5 LED lights

With winter rapidly approaching and me planning to ride all winter, a set of lights were deemed essential.
I wanted light that served two rolls the first being to allow cars to see me, and the second to allow me to see.
With an idea of what I wanted I had a look on eBay, I found a UK site selling a pair of front lights with a free rear light for the bargain price of £12.99 inc p&p. (eBay item No 380703723631)  I also ordered a pair of rechargeable batteries and charger at the same time £4 - since I am rubbish with batteries, these are from China and as such haven't arrived yet.
The order was placed and 2 days later a package arrived.

What's in the package ?
Two lights
Two handle bar light holders
two extender tubes (for the rechargeable batteries)
Two straps
Rear 5 led light







The rear Led light was fitted in seconds with the aid of nothing more than a screw driver.
The front light holders came with 2 inserts for different sized handlebars. Since my bars are 31.8mm (oversized) in the centre I only needed the smaller of the two inserts. with the holder fitted there was a small amount of movement over rougher ground, as such I fitted a thin layer of foam rubber to stop this movement.

What are they like ?
with a fresh set of batteries I set off into the darkness.
the lights have 3 modes, high power, low power and flashing.
since the first part of my journey was on the road I set one of the lights to flashing, ideal for annoying car drivers, but at least if they are annoyed they have seen me, Right ?
the second was set to low power.

the lights lit the road well and a light pattern could easily be seen through the street lights.

The second section was a cycle track with no artificial lighting and trees that create a tunnel, both lights set to high power, and a chance for me to play with the zoom setting, this goes from a pencil beam to a wide flood beam, the best setting in my opinion was one light set to pencil and the other to flood this provided localised light but still allowed me to see far enough into the distance to avoid any obstacles.

the third section of my test route was through the woods, the woods are pitch black, the lights do a good job of lighting the route and the switch is on the rear of the light so the can be operated without slowing down, I switched to the low power setting to save battery power when I was climbing and didn't need the light. I didn't know what battery life was going to be like and didn't want to be stranded in the dark.

 I needn't of worried as the light were still burning bright at the end of the final road section and my return home.
This was my first ever night ride and certainly won't be my last.

I can now ride winter long with confidence and most of all have fun all year.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Gary,

    Have to take my hat off to you. As like yourself I need to shred a few stone, as I am 44 and just under 13 stone. I've been thinking about doing something to improve my fitness and all round health, and tomrorow all being well I should take delivery of my Whistle Patwin 1381D , and then watch out those of you that ride in Haldon forest (Exeter) ..

    Hopefully I will have the conviction to regular get out and ride, although not really been back on a bike since the age of 17. My plan is to take things easy, and not go too mad, and slowly build my stamina and edurance ...

    I wish you every success in your goal, and hopefully I will be able to follow ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I wish you the best of luck with your journey, and I am sure you will love the whistle as much as I do, if you want to chat and compare notes ideas etc, just drop me an email or message.
    most importantly - have fun !!!

    ReplyDelete