Saturday 28 September 2013

Time for some TLC

After misjudging a drop off on my last ride (about 6 ft instead of the 6" I was expecting ) the Whistle was sporting a wobbly front wheel about 10mm (3/8")
Being as I used to build my own wheels in the late 80's I decided to have a look and see what could be done, This was the first time I had ever tried with a 29er wheel and OMG they are so different to a 20" wheel, every little tweek of the spoke key makes a massive difference.
whilst she was on the stand I decided to give her the once over and all I can say is that after 1000 miles she is still in remarkably good health. a clean and a lube and she's good to go again, now if I can shake this cold I can get out and ride.




If you want to have a go at trueing your own wheels there are a couple of tips,
1. if the bike has seen a winter season, spray some release agent on the spoke nipples the day before.
2. take your time. if you have to tweek the same spoke 10 times it is better than over doing it the first time.
3. don't expect perfection, even top class wheels are only built to a run out of 0.2mm
4. you eye is very accurate and your fingers are incredible at detecting the run out, if you don't have a dial test indicator, don't worry you can feel down to a few microns.
5 take the tyre off and check the spokes inside the rim once you are finished. they maybe protruding inside the wheel after tightening, this will cause punctures.

No comments:

Post a Comment