Saturday 13 December 2014

Ache and pains

It's finally happened,
on Thursday during my commute home fate conspired against me my first hold up was a puncture, a quick tube change at the side of the road and I was good to go.
2 miles later and a car overtook so close that they clipped my handlebars as they passed, this resulted in me being flipped over the handle bars as they were spun through 90 degrees at 25 mph.
As I was flying through the air my only thought was " this is going to hurt " it did.
I came down on my head and shoulder with so much force my helmet cracked through and a muscle tore in my shoulder, along with a few other minor injuries such as a bruised hip and knuckles.
Luckily the car stopped and the driver was so apologetic and upset I didn't even lo
se my temper, all it took was a brief lapse of judgement (she thought there was enough room) and I am off the bike for a few weeks until the shoulder is ok again, at the moment I feel constantly winded.
On the plus side at least I am still alive, if that sounds a bit dramatic, I don't think it is, looking at the crack in the helmet that could have quite easily been my head.
I have also found out that the older you get the more it hurts, in my teens a tumble like that would have resulted in a few obscenities being uttered and shaking it off, now it resulted in a few more obscenities (I have learnt a few new ones in the last 20 years) and lots of pain for a week or two. I don't bounce like I used to!!

I urge all cyclist's to wear a helmet and all car drivers to have a little more respect for us, you are in a 2 tonne missile we are on 9Kg's of aluminium.
Stay safe out there people.

No comments:

Post a Comment